Homeowner Coverage

Similar to your auto insurance, losses to your home and property are typically a nuisance and can be fairly easily remedied. While a total loss to your home is a traumatic experience, it can be rebuilt and your personal possessions can be replaced. However, being sued for causing personal injury to someone else can be life changing. Something as simple as a neighbor slipping on your icy sidewalk could lead to a lawsuit costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more.

Basic Coverages

Personal Injury Liability — Lawsuit protection for you. Very important world-wide coverage protecting your assets from damages caused by you resulting in personal injury to the another party.

Medical Payments — Payments to non-resident claimants for injuries sustained at your property, regardless of fault.

Dwelling Coverage — Basic coverage which is designed to rebuild your home in case of a partial or total loss subject to a deductible. Required for a mortgage.

Personal Property — Coverage for your stuff that is again subject to a deductible. Certain limits apply to jewelry, guns, artwork, musical instruments, coins, silver and other items. Ask for clarification and limits.

Important Optional Coverages

Sewer Backup — Damage caused by sewer backup is ONLY covered by endorsement.

Flood Insurance — Specialized coverage that is excluded from the basic policy.

Earthquake Insurance — Another specialized coverage that is excluded from the basic policy.

Ask your agent about other limitations in your basic Homeowners policy. Do not be surprised on claims day.
Scheduled Personal Property
Within every homeowner’s policy, there is coverage for personal property. This coverage is for your stuff from appliances to clothing. In a typical homeowner’s policy this coverage amount is a set percentage of the dwelling coverage. In a tenants policy it must be determined by the insured what that amount will be. In either case, there are some monetary limits on specific types of property. Items such as furs, jewelry, fine arts, silverware, cameras, musical instruments, stamp and coin collections, and similar property should be considered for coverage on a personal articles floater. When covered this way, these items are covered for all risks and are no longer subject to a deductible.